[Harp-L] Phoenix, AZ - Local criticism about jams and players - my reply on social media

Tirades about what's wrong with local jams and the players are empty and
ineffective.

âJams
are voluntary
âM
usicians are at different levels
#3 ...and progressing at their own rate
#4 It's preaching to the choir

I think the ONLY way to have an influence, is by example, and one-on-one,
when you have a friendly (respectful) relationship with someone. I haven't
found a way to let a musician know they are frequently playing flat. Or
overplaying in vocals or during another's solo.

Remember the premise is the club pays the host band if enough players feel
welcome and uncriticised. Sell some food and drink, and we all get to
return. The club doesn't care if you read music or play flat.

As a solo vocalist you have a little more directive influence over how your
tune is delivered. Not much, but a little.
Now, is everybody current on their meds? <grin>

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona
youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL
DUKEofWAIL.com