[Harp-L] Little Walter reputation

I've always loved Little Walter and marveled at his and that he achieved so much despite his humble start in life. If anything, Little Walter has been underrated.My expose to the blues came sometime in the 1980s on public radio, of all things.. Not because I didn't look for the blues. A few songs worked their way into the AM airwaves in the Detroit area in the 50s, but even the black stations didn't play blues in the 50s. A lot of jump and sax combo stuff. Maybe it was different in the Chicago area.

 I can't remember the first time I heard "Juke" by Little Walter, but from the time I first heard his sound it seemed to be based on the sax players of the 1940s. But even the pre-war (World War II, kids) harmonica players were imitating horn players (sax, cornet, trumpet) since the start of recorded music.

Juke, of course, was the theme song of famed band leader Les Brown. Only it was called "Leap Frog." If you can't find a copy of "Juke," go look it up in the fake book index and find which fake book has the lead sheet.

A lot of guys were playing saxophone riffs and tunes on the harmonica in the 1940s and before. The only people who don't recognize the connection between harp and sax are the ones who never heard recordings of jump bands and sax bands. The sax was king before it was displaced by the guitar.

Little Walter wasn't the first one to play sax tunes on the harp; he was simply one of the best. And he was probably the first to record "Leap Frog" on the harp -- even though many people probably played it live. Released in February 1945 "Leap Frog" was used by many bands, not just Les Brown and his Band of Renown.

Even "Blues With A Feeling" (2002)  by Glover Dirks and Gaines mentions the "Leap frog" connection.

Here's Les Brown:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhnSFQVI_Oc>;

As far as amplified harmonica, anyone who has spent some time on an Army post would have heard the bugle calls spread over the post by loudspeaker. It would not take much insight to consider using a PA (public address system) to make the harmonica louder.

"My Babe" another hit by Little Walter was based on "This Train" (Don't Carry No Gamblers)" which a big 1939 hit by Sister Rosetta Tharpe, who became famous for performing gospel music in night clubs in the 30s and 40s.

Early Little Walter recordings sounded like the original Sonny Boy Williamson (I). Nobody talks about Sonny Boy. Half the reissues confuse SBW I  with imposter Rice Miller who took his name and  whose picture even appears on the real Sonny Boy's recordings.

Phil