[Harp-L] Why Intelligent Music is Dying - not

 When I was in high school, one of the girls --who had a figure like a coke bottle--got a pixie haircut.

Some wise guy remarked: "You don't look much like a girl anymore."

To which, her boyfriend added: "You're not looking in the right places."

Same is true with live music. It hasn't gone away, it's just a little harder to find. There was a time when jazz was popular music. Times change. Serious music is there if you look for it.

I catch the DSO pops concerts monthly series  and small bands/ singers at the Ark in Ann Arbor.

I saw Muddy Waters and James Cotton at the Royal Oak Music Theatre many years ago and BB King at the Fox Theater.

I've seen several national touring blues acts at Callahan's Music Hall  in recent months. And I saw Charlie Musselwhite at the Macomb Center several years ago, along with some other blues acts.

Once a month I drive 90 miles to Lansing to sing and strum along  with 35-50 members of LAUGH) the Lansing Area Ukulele Group the h is silent) for 90 minutes.

But mostly, I missed out on a lot (and I mean a lot) of concerts due to my 33 years working nights, weekends and holidays on the newspaper copy desk. Nowadays, when I attend a live concert I am gratified not so much because of the performance but that I am able to attend at all.

The only time when technology creates a barrier between me and live music is when my car won't start.

Phil