[Harp-L] Little Walter is overrated

Each to their own. But then... No way.

I listened to Paul Harrington's Chicken Shack. Sure he kicks butt. He'd kick mine any day. But his phrasing and moves are similar to many other great players. Nothing really new.

Let's put aside LWs song writing, likewise his arrangements which have become standards. Just listen to his phrasing. It was different in every song. It still sounds wonderful and unique.

Listen to Rattlesnake, where he backs John Brim. It's at https://youtu.be/uPb9ZQx6YlU Listen to how LW moves the beat around. Very few players, modern or otherwise, have this flexibilty with phrasing. And then, the solo. Much as I love them, few if any of today's speed kings could come up with something like that.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com