[Harp-L] Inteligent Music dying?

I enjoyed Mr. Schroer's contribution on this topic - although  I don't
necessarily agree with all his historical analysis.

Since my childhood I have had the good fortune to be exposed to and have
enjoyed a variety of  music: classical, some jazz, all boogie woogie, Irish
traditional and some pop.

Having never been subjected to any formal music education other than
learning the tonic solfa in primary school I never learned to hate music,
but my lack of training is unfortunately reflected in the standard of my
harmonica playing.

Now in my later (very late!) years I am trying to learn a bit more about
music and even to learn how to "read the dots". This has brought me  to the
conclusion that there are two ways to enjoy music: the first being just
emotional or sensual - merely letting the music flow over you. The second
way is intellectual where you try to figure out what is going on. The two
experiences are not necessarily mutually exclusive, but I think it is
possible to over intellectualise music. This may be the reason why most
modern art music and progressive jazz leave me cold.

I remain hopeful that there will always be musicians and composers in every
genre who can produce new music which will "turn me on"

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana