[Harp-L] Seattle jamming May 2015

Here's how to query the jam scene when you travel -

Harp list
Blues Societies on the web and their FB pages
Phone calls to local clubs when you get there - bartenders can usually tell
you about how many musicians show up
Calls to local music stores were not productive for me

And oh yes, 7 harps was not enough! Next time, I will travel with 14 harps
in TWO Lee Oskar soft cases.

Here is what I found about blues jams in Seattle this week.

Shuga Jazz Bistro was the best treat Sunday night! House band was drums,
bass, and keys. (What, no guitar? Blasphemy!) Several wonderful male and
female vocalists doing tasty standards. A small and appreciative audience
in a very good restaurant with cordial service.

Most significantly - they played at a luscious low volume where everything
was clearly heard and no one played bombastically.  Even though the evening
was largely progressive jazz and standard tunes, my vocal and un-amped
harp rendition of Delbert McClinton "gotta get worked on" was WELL received
by band and crowd, black and white.

The Washington Blues Society page for jam listings was the most efficient
way to get an overview of events. Probably would be, too, in many
states/cities. Always requires some local phone calling because we know how
easily club business can change week to week.

Also dropped in on a Thursday night jam at The Dog House Bar and Grill.
(Adjoining Kittens Gentleman's  club, but enough about that here.) Lots of
fun, hot pickers, and got to trade fours around the band. (No one gets
hurt until the keyboard player calls Cissy Strut with 3 key changes!
Noodge!)

--
Robert Hale