Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 and Session Steel side by side

When you make a recording using a 1847 and a Session Steel, both without coverplates, there’s not a difference in the sound to hear.
It may ” feel” different but that because the harps will not have an identical set-up ….. plus, the massive comb of the 1847 gives a bit more ”compression” to the overall feel where the Session Steel looses very little air= less compression.

The back of the coverplates of the Session Steel is more closed so most players think they sound ”warmer” but that is mostly because less sound/overtones reaches the ears.
The 1847 is not louder but sounds more bright/open because of the comb/coverplates and that may give the feeling of a louder sound.

I’ve tried all possible combinations of combs/coverplates, from corian to brass combs, from 5mm wooden combs to handmade plastic combs etc etc.. but when I recorded the harps ( without coverplates ) they all sounded the same to me.
Yes, when it looks beautiful and it feels nice, you may play better which could lead to a better sound :-))

kindest regards, met vriendelijke groeten,

Ben Bouman
www.benboumanharmonicas.com <http://www.benboumanharmonicas.com/>
www.harmonicainstituut.nl <http://www.harmonicainstituut.nl/>
www.harmonicaheaven.nl <http://www.harmonicaheaven.nl/>