[Harp-L] Bored

I am a member of a blues society that meets two Saturdays out of each month.  We have a great time jamming.  About half is blues and the other half is a mixture of rock and country.

We have about five harp players that join in, seldom more than three the same day. Our styles vary.  I enjoy listening to all of them.

Here is the problem ... Most can only play blues!  They use mica and amps that accentuate distortion, to the point that I can't hear what they are actually playing ... Articulation is absent.  Yet they seem to make fun of me for not doing what they do ... Which to me is too much becomes boring!

I play a clean tone through an audio v mic into the house.  When I need an amp I use a piano amp with undistorted 300 watt power.  I use digital tools to get many sounds including a bullet mic feeding in a bassman amp for the blues sound.  Thank you Richard Hunter for your right on advice.

My favorite players are lee Oskar and Charlie McCoy (listen to his amazing tribute to little Walter).  I like articulate musical riffs of varying styles.

My point is ... Many of those who champion the blues seem to have an unreasonable bigotry against those who are capable of playing other styles.

I enjoy so much about being a drummer and harpist ... Many styles, perspectives, approaches, etc.  That has made my life rich since the 8th grade in 1963.  What I do not appreciate is those with limited stylistic range defend themselves by laughing at those who have spread their wings beyond a single style.  That diminishes the fun of it all.

I am going further now by buying a complete set of Seydel Spirals to enhance my performance in pop and church worship music.  Thank you Duke of Wail and Greg Jones for educating and encouraging me to take a leap.

The mockings of stylistic bigots will not prevent me from broadening my range and deepening my skill and love.

Bless you all for the music.

Tom Richardson

Sent from my iPhone