Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bored with blues harmonica

That really bothers me too! I can't understand why all these award-winning classical pianists who can sight-read a fly on a chart can't play blues and boogie woogie in public.

This is old argument: who is the better player? The classically trained musician or the free form self-taught jammer?

Why doesn't a sax player play the trumpet? Everybody knows a sax sounds better than a trumpet.

Some people play classical music. Some play pop/jazz/blues. Some people play both.

Wynton Marsalis plays jazz and classical and excels at both. His emphasis on jazz is on the early period, noting that the history of jazz is important and often neglected. For this attitude he is attacked for not being progressive enough. Why doesn't he play modern jazz?

Trumpet playing is a lot like guitar playing and harmonica playing: every mediocre player is positive he can play better than (fill in the blank) if just got the chance. Which is not true.

Some of you may have heard of classical chromatic player Robert Bonfiglio who concertizes with various orchestras around the country. Not only does he kill during his classical concert; when he plays blues for his encore, he kills the audience all over again.

I regularly see national touring blues acts at Callahan's Music Hall, a local bar/concert hall that is only open for concerts. I never see lame untalented acts. Callahan's is one of the few spots open as most of the blues bars in the Detroit area have closed.

I also attend the pops concerts series of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. They don't usually play too much blues or jazz.

Back in the days when I was working and the owner of my newspaper also owned the MacPaper, I was able to be a day sponsor (with matching funds from the company) at the Wayne State public radio station. Robert Jones played a lot of early blues for two hours every Saturday on his "Blues from the Lowlands" for many years. I would buy a box of 2-hour tapes, record the show and listen all week driving two and from work.

My day sponsor message:

"A day without blues is like a day without sunshine."

Keep on harpin

Phil