Re: [Harp-L] Totally bored? Listen to this=Harp Content

Hey all.

Just got back from the Harmonica Collective and am catching up - reading this thread with great interest.

With Jason Ricci, PT Gazell, Mitch Kashmar, Richard Sleigh and Winslow Yerxa teaching, the Collective was anything but the same ol' blues licks and 12-bar progressions. There was a lot of stress on creativity and getting out of our ruts (using things like various harmonica types, positions, modes/scales, musical styles, effects and rhythmic variation as well as listening to great players of other instruments).

Anyway, thanks for the link to your album Noah; cool stuff with both formal and rhythmic interest in a modern style! "My Escape" (track 3) also has some nice harp parts.

To speak to the thread subject more generally: I like to avoid getting too repetitive in my own listening and musical output and try to keep things fresh. For me, this encourages playing, practice, learning and writing new music... both within the blues realm and outside of it. That's one reason I recorded my recent EP of 5 songs in 5 different genres using 4 different harp types ("Not So Blue" - on YouTube for free listening). The EP includes an energetic blues-infused rock tune on diatonic with overblows, as well as such oddities as a heavy metal double bass harmonica piece, Jazz with pitch shifting on XB40, and a sitar love ballad.

If you haven't already checked it out and are interested in something different:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_L9X-hQDE&list=PLD-VQNdNliVQLCF5edj72u9XKT-y1LqSr

Do what brings you joy!

If you get bored of the blues, you could try some of the things I mentioned above from the Collective, or maybe just take a break from it for a while and try something new. You may well come back to it later reenergized and with a fresh perspective.

Thanks to all those who've contributed to this thread in ways that have me thinking and gave me new ideas and music to explore.

All the best,

- John

Dr. John F. Shirley
Music Department Chairman