Re: [Harp-L] Totally bored with the blues genre

> On May 4, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Michael Rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I think it is an assumption that the original blues players were musically illiterate.  It is documented that Howling Wolf knew theory.  Even if the interviews suggest the others did not, consider they had their reputations to uphold and fear of others stealing their gigs by learning what they knew.  They stayed at the same chitlin circuit hotels as the jazz masters, don't you think it's likely Charlie Parker and Little Walter conversed about music?

Nice to hear from you Michael. Yes itâs an assumption, a reasonable one. This isnât math or science where the exception disproves the hypothesis. Charlie Parker and Little Walter may well have discussed music but not like the do at Juilliard. Look, I know theory. Probably a lot more than many blues harp players past and present. However, I also know I barely know jack shit compared to classically trained musicians. Chatting over booze and reefer at a Chitlinâ Circuit hotel is not the same thing. And is in most ways is beside my main points which are form by definition frames the conversation and the reason why people get bored with the blues has to do with their own limitations rather than the constraints of the form.

-B

Bob Cohen
Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
w: bobjcohen.com