Re: [Harp-L] Totally bored with the blues genre

On May 2, 2015, at 6:12 AM, Joel Fritz wrote:

> You don't have to like blues.  Nobody said it was mandatory.  I'm not
> that fond of ice cream, myself....

> I play harp for fun.  All of the organized music--you know, the stuff
> with sheet music--I've been involved with has been vocal.....

There it is, Joel's got it right....in five words: "I play harp for fun".

Sure, it's fun to play music, and even more fun if people pay you for it, but, in theory, the playing is its own reward. (Not forgetting that, in practice, that reward becomes harder to appreciate while starving, failing to pay the rent, and trying to avoid paying alimony to ex-wives #1, #4 and #5, not to mention #2 and #3, who got court-ordered lump sum settlements and were never heard from again.)

I think Randy has a great point, it's that "the emperor has no clothes" thing. Everybody knows that a lot of The Blues on Harmonica is repetitive and boring to listen to, but nobody wants to say it out loud.

Boring to others, but really fun for the player.

So, for me, Joel's point is well-taken, and I back him 100%.....Oh, NO, WAIT, Joel......you don't like ice cream????

I may have to reassess my agreement with your post.....

Still, the best new phrase I read in this issue was Warren Bee's wonderfully thought-provoking phrase: "Chromatic runs up and down your chromatic shaft take people to a better place than the blues can?"

My first response to reading that took me into the  "no harmonica content" category.....

jk

Of the instruments that I own, only the harmonica comes in so many keys, costs so little, and has room for magnets.

http://jonkip.com