[Harp-L] Re: Totally bored with the blues genre

A problem we just had here in Canton Ohio, which I imagine happens many places, is a new blues club just opened and suddenly "blues" bands come outta the woodwork. Three or four guys who have likely never played together before practice a little (maybe), pick a name with blues in it, and get booked playing the same tired 1-4-5 blues songs. I was going to the place often to support it, but it does get boring and discouraging. One of the things my band has always tried to do is stay away from the norm and play material that other bands don't. The problem we've had is the 'musically challenged" audiences seem to rather hear familiar tunes. I personally have never wanted to hear cover bands, or at least when the band does covers, they do them in their style, rather than trying to copy exactly, so I have trouble getting my head around that mentality. There are a lot of great blues and roots rock songs out there, and yet to be written, that don't follow the standard 1-4-5 format, thank God, and for that reason I personally will continue to love and play the genre, and relish my Sirius Radio B.B. King's Bluesville station where I hear both old standards and wonderful new songs every day.Lare SattlerÂÂÂ The Little Chicago BandÂÂÂ Canton Ohio