Re: [Harp-L] John Popper Performance at NAMM 2015

The actual harmonica is a Seydel harp (I know this to be 100% true and am
sharing the details fit for public consumption).  It has the antique covers
and black comb you can find on the brass Session, but the reed plates are
stainless steel.  The antique plates do have a lacquer on them which is a
new concept.  So, you can essentially buy this harp right now if you buy a
Session Steel. I have vids and info at
http://johnpopperharmonica.blogspot.com/.

I thought it was interesting that early in the vid he is holding a SM57,
but when he is playing, it is clearly a SM58.  JP also says the Hohner
harps have "tin" reeds, when they are, in fact, brass.  The blonde in the
back of the vid is his girlfriend.  The guitar player is Chan Kinchla, the
guitar player from Blues Traveler.

In another vid from NAMM, the Fender rep suggests that John goes through
over 300 Special 20's a year and that he will use replacement reedplates
with the Fender harp rather than chucking them (the band's tech will change
them out).  In addition, the Fender John Popper Signature harp will only
come in 7 keys.  John has a full set of 14 keys including High G and Low D.
 When I spoke to Fender directly they quoted a release 90 days from my
phone call, which would make them available in May for around $99 each
MSRP.  So, it looks like it will be priced between a Session Steel and
1847.  They will only be available from Fender and not direct from Seydel.

Blues Traveler has started some light touring already in 2015 and any
YouTube vids from those show clearly show him still using Special 20's.  He
was playing a bunch with Brother's Keeper before that, again, using Special
20's.