[Harp-L] Pucker and TB tips

Hi Tony, for tongue blocking in my opinion Dave Barrett's instructional
series will get you on the right track. You can email him at
_schooloftheblues@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:schooloftheblues@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)  and  let him know
where you're at and he'll get you set up straight. For pucker I  have a tip
that's worked with many players who've come by the house to pick up  their
amp or in Skype lessons I do, and will be doing a video on it that I'll  share
the link when it's up. This also will get you on the right path to tongue
blacking as it involves using your throat to pull the notes which is the
basis  of TB'ing, as I use both even in Sonny Terry style. While he did not TB
on 99%  of his works his strong diaphragm and use of this throat to "choke"
notes as  called it was one of keys to getting his sound.
To go from a pucker player where one uses the tongue to pull the notes and
cheeks come in, put your tongue behind your bottom teeth as far as you can.
What  happens, your jaw drops, and now you must use the throat with
incorporating it  with the diaphragm, another video. Use light gasps of air from
the top of your  throat or an inward light kkkkkkkk, like an inward cough, to
try and pull the  note. Even though your tongue raises up you will get
enough air to pull, then  once getting this, you use your tongue as an accenting
tool which Sonny did  masterfully. Use of the diaphragm is also key to deep
tone, and you will get to  where you are using both with the diaphragm
becoming second nature, on all the  time. Practice without a harp taking deep
breaths in, filling the bottom of your  lungs first, then slowly bringing it up
to capacity; as you pull in, diaphragm  goes out, breath out diaphragm in.
    You can research yoga breathing or pranayama for other  exercises of
breathing which will also help in allowing you to relax, big key,  when
playing. The pure pucker player before anyone shows them differently will  be very
tight in the mouth, where they tone is coming from, and has that  specific
sound. We've probably all started this way unless one was taught
differently to TB from the beginning which Dave has players do. Thankfully I am  able
to work out six days a week and will try and do chugging patterns while
doing cardio where my heart rate is in the 140's to 150, the target for my age.
 Very difficult and I don't try and get it perfect, just build up my wind.
How to  calculate your fat burning rate is 220 minus your age, time the
percentage you  want to work at, which can be from 75 - 90 % very top end. Make
sure you are  cleared by your PCP so as not to have any issues. I am doing a
small number  of Skype lessons where you only need one as I take wherever
you are and bring  you to next level with many practice techniques to help do
this. Contact me off  list if interested, I have two slots available.
    The next sections are about what I'll be teaching  at the Spah seminar
so if not interested will just leave it at above.  If I stray off topic
which people with ADHD tend to do, my apology if it offends  anyone, I'll always
put this type note so you can choose to read it or not.  Thank you.
 This is what some of what I'll be sharing in my seminar at Spah, as
without the foundation of where his tone comes from the use of tabs is not
effective, as while hitting the note designated if not using the right
technique, at least in Sonny's style, you'll never get how he sounds like he  does.
This is my goal as the seminar so that you listen to him now, you'll be  able
to hear the difference between the three blow and two draw, when he's
choking the four draw, which is always in play no matter what, how to perform
his main chugging patterns such as Whooping (Hootin) the blues, Big Wind, and
 others.
    Even if not wanting to listen to him try these  techniques and with
everyone's else's input I'm sure you'll be on your way.
    I am working finally on my own Sonny Terry instructional  video where
the main focus will be starting with the foundation then building  the house,
roof on top of that. I'll pass out what anyone can google about Sonny  then
give my personal experiences with he and Brownie during perhaps the most
turbulent of their not speaking or harmonizing to each other. I'd spend a
good deal of time talking with Brownie as we many times stayed at same  motel
( motel 6, $9,.99:) ),and he shared his side of the story, while Sonny
never knew why he wasn't speaking to him. Two stubborn black men  from the south
( Sonny wanted to be referred to as black ) with  neither going to make the
first move.
      These two video's I strongly suggest anyone  planning on attending
the seminar watch, as I have permission from the  people handing their affairs
to be able to play them while demonstrating, so you  hear if from the
source as I did in the hundreds of hours of teaching he  did no matter how he
felt and watching and performing in that number of  shows,'
    Respectfully, Sonny Jr.