[Harp-L] Re: Flying with Pedal Board

If for any reason you didn't want to go the route of taking apart your pedal board and reconfiguring into a soft case I would suggest gate checking the road case. You might get some delay with a hard case at security but that's a crap shoot regardless.

On the off chance you're not familar with gate checking, at the gate when you go to board tell the staff there you wish to gate check your piece and they will give you a claim ticket and attach another to the case. Sometimes this is done at the door of the aircraft. The ticket is usually red. You then take it yourself to the door of the aircraft and leave it along with baby strollers, wheel chairs and other things being gate checked. It is then walked to the baggage hold and put on the plane by hand. At the other end it is walked back to the door of the aircraft and you pick it up when you disembark. I've done this many times with acoustic guitars when the plane did not have overheads large enough with never a problem.

A somewhat more complicated route to actually take it on the plane starts with when you book your ticket. Many airlines allow you to reserve your seat at the time of booking. Reserve a seat in the back of the aircraft. I usually take the last row so no kid is going to be kicking the seat and raising hell. Economy seats board starting from the back of the plane. You board in sections so you want to position yourself at the gate at the head of the line so you are first on when they start to board Economy, assuming your a normal musician. This allows two options. If the plane has decent size overheads, you'll have first access. International flights are almost always fine but city hoppers can be small. If you don't know ask the flight attendent when you first board if the case will fit. DO NOT ASK FOR PERMISSION EVER. If they say the overheads are too small they will usually offer to put it in the closet behind first class and you can retrieve it on the way out. If they don't offer, ask. Being first in line is critical. I once had my guitar put in the closet and the guy right behind me also had a guitar but had to gate check because after mine there was no more room. If the plane is so small there isn't any room anywhere you're back to gate checking.