Re: [Harp-L] Wood combs and Hohner

Hi,The one big difference between the reed plates of a standard 270 and the 270 Deluxe besides the former being nailed to the comb and the latter being attached with screws is the fact that the reed plates on the 270 Deluxe is roughly 30% THICKER than the standard 270's are (that's just the reed plates and NOT the reeds themselves), which makes them play louder and more aggressively, much like the difference between the Toots Mellow Tone and the Toots Hard Bopper reed plates are. Sincerely,Barbeque Bob MaglinteBoston, MAhttp://www.barbequebob.comCD available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bbmaglinte

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Steve Molitor <stevemolitor@xxxxxxxxx>
To: George Miklas <harmonicat@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Wood combs and Hohner
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 08:52:38 -0500

As near as I can tell the 270 deluxe and Discovery 48 reed plates are the
same, except that the deluxe plates have narrower holes for the cover
plates screws.  I'm talking about the two very big holes on either end.
I've put 270 deluxe plates on a discovery 48 and vice versa; both work
fine.  They are both attached with screws, not nails. If you're buying new
plates save yourself some money and get the Discovery 48 plates.

My favorite chromatic is a Discovery 48 with 270 deluxe cover plates and
mouthpiece, that I've tweaked a bit. (FYI you don't need the backing plate
when you put the deluxe mouthpiece on a 48.)  If you want a plastic combed
270 this is a good option. But I may try one of Brendan Power's new 270
combs - they look really sweet.

I've been chatting with Geroge about getting chromatic plates in a
different (not C) key drilled for the 48 mouthpiece. He seems like a great
guy to deal with and has very, very fair prices.

Steve

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 7:03 AM, George Miklas <harmonicat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Daniel
>
> They appear to be the same reed plates, although I've not had opportunity
> to make that comparison.
>
> What I have done is refurbished 270 plates (in various keys) and mounted
> them to D48 comb. In this process, the reed plates must be "fit" to the
> comb since the plates are recessed. Then holes are drilled and tapped for
> machine screws.
>
> George
>
> On Tuesday, July 21, 2015, Cal Cal <macaroni9999@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Steve
> >
> > What about the reed plates and reeds? Are they the same ones used in the
> > 270 Deluxe?
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> > On Monday, July 20, 2015, Steve Baker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <DISABLEDSCRIPT:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > To quote the Hohner website, "Covers and mouthpiece/ slide package of
> > > Super Chromonica and  Super  Chromonica 270 Deluxe are fully
> compatible"
> > > with the Discovery body.
> > >
> > > Steve Baker
> > > www.stevebaker.de
> > > www.european-music-workshops.com
> > > www.harmonica-masters.de
> > >

> --
>
>    - *HARMONICA GALLERY SALES* and *REPAIR SERVICE* &#9835;&#9834; New!* HOHNER*
>    Harmonicas <http://www.HarmonicaGallery.com/hohner>  &#9835;&#9834; *HARMONICA
>    REPAIR* Done Right by George <http://harmonicagallery.com/repair> &#9835;&#9834;
> Used
>    / Refurbished <http://www.HarmonicaGallery.com/contact>
>

>    - *GEORGE MIKLAS* Harmonica Performing Artist and Entertainer
>    <http://www.harmonicagallery.com/home1>  and member of Old Time Country
>    Music Hall Of Fame (NTCMA.net)  *HARMONICA WIZARD MARCH
>    <http://www.HarmonicaGallery.com/sousa>* by John Philip Sousa
>

>    - *SOCIETY *for the *PRESERVATION *and *ADVANCEMENT* of the
> *HARMONICA **SPAH
>    *-  <http://spah.org/>*a non-profit, membership organization dedicated
>    to serving the harmonica community. <http://spah.org/>*

Old School Yearbook Pics
View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/55afc2be90ffb42be7459st04vuc