Re: [Harp-L] Going into the studio for the first time

David McCurry wrote:
<Some on this list are far more qualified to answer, but I would say the
<first thing to get out of the way is being nervous. The one really great
<thing about studio work (vs. live band performance) is that if you mess up
<or didn't give your part the best shot, you can just do another "take".
<Actually, I find live performance more stress producing than recording. You
<have the "do over" factor to get the best take you can. That said, in
<studios, time is money, so the people paying for the recording will want
<you to nail it down as quickly as you can. Practice your part and be ready
<BEFORE you walk into the recording studio with some idea of what you want
<to play. Studios are no place to noodle around or to learn a new part. Make
<notes and cheat sheets for yourself to place on a stand.
<
<Remember to keep extraneous noise (from hands, breathing, shirt, whatever)
<to absolute minimum. The mics are sensitive and pick up everything. If you
<are playing a part, don't make any sound immediately before you start or
<after you finish. Give it a few moments until the engineer signals all
<clear. That gives him or her some room to work on the track.
<
<And... remember to have fun! We all need more of that.

All good advice.  The only thing I'll add is to make sure you know what instruments you're going to need, and make sure that your gear is working before you go in: harps tuned and playable, cables in decent condition, amp (if any) working without crackles, buzzes, etc.  You don't want to have to worry about your gear when you're on the studio clock, with 4-5 other musicians standing around wondering when you're going to be ready.  And you don't need to--just have your kit in good working order when you go in.

Regards, Richard Hunter