Re: [Harp-L] Going into the studio for the first time

Richard,

Some on this list are far more qualified to answer, but I would say the
first thing to get out of the way is being nervous. The one really great
thing about studio work (vs. live band performance) is that if you mess up
or didn't give your part the best shot, you can just do another "take".
Actually, I find live performance more stress producing than recording. You
have the "do over" factor to get the best take you can. That said, in
studios, time is money, so the people paying for the recording will want
you to nail it down as quickly as you can. Practice your part and be ready
BEFORE you walk into the recording studio with some idea of what you want
to play. Studios are no place to noodle around or to learn a new part. Make
notes and cheat sheets for yourself to place on a stand.

Remember to keep extraneous noise (from hands, breathing, shirt, whatever)
to absolute minimum. The mics are sensitive and pick up everything. If you
are playing a part, don't make any sound immediately before you start or
after you finish. Give it a few moments until the engineer signals all
clear. That gives him or her some room to work on the track.

And... remember to have fun! We all need more of that.

Dave

--
David S McCurry, EdD

DS McCurry Fine Arts Studio