Re: [Harp-L] Seydel or hohner

I bought a lot of different harps to test them and choose the one I prefer.
I chose the Special 20 (Hohner) for multiple reasons :
- It's one of the rare beard-friendly harmonica (Manji are great, but i
didn't test them long as the beard is quickly caught between the cover
plates and the reeds ...)
- You can open it. I love the sound of the Marine Band, but I have to set
up my harmonica if I want to play really well overnotes, which is not
possible with the Marine Band.
- Overblows come really easy and with no squealing (except maybe for high
pitch harmonicas like Eb, F, F# ...).
I tried the Seydel Classic 1847. The sound is great ! I think I prefer the
sound of the 1847 to those of the special 20.
The harp is not beard friendly, but much less aggressive than Manji's. How
much tears did I drop while playing with manjis ?
The worst well-known disadvantage of Seydel concerns overnotes : the
harmonica squeals really quickly. If you put wax on the end of the rivet,
that should be enough to get clean overnotes, but you need more controle
with these harps.

If you have no beard, no need for overnotes and a big wallet, go for 1847 !

Sebastien