Re: [Harp-L] Inhaling through nose trouble, please help

Some good advice here, from Winslow and others. On the tricks that can help,
when I was learning Blues in my early days I simply blocked my nostrils with
tissue for a few days. That instantly cured me of inhaling on draw notes.
When teaching I recommend it to students.

However I think it should be noted that selectively inhaling and exhaling
through the nose when playing harmonica is actually very useful. For
example, when playing cross-harp on diatonic in the low range you use a lot
of draw notes, and it's easy to fill up with air. Certainly I agree that
it's important to exclude the nose when actually drawing and draw-bending,
but to get rid of extra air I will often exhale through the nose as well as
mouth when playing a blow note.

In Irish dance music, often played in first position and related modes that
use a lot of blow notes, the opposite problem occurs: you can run out of air
sometimes! Plus the continuous melodies go very fast, and you only have
split second breaks to moisten lips (to stop from sticking) and equalise
air. Then I'll use the nose to draw in air. Or if there's no chance for a
break, I'll consciously use the nose to equalise air whilst actually playing
for a bar or two.

So definitely learn to control exhaling/inhaling via the nose, but don't
think you shouldn't use it at all.

Brendan

www.brendan-power.com <http://www.brendan-power.com/>

www.YouTube.com/BrendanPowerMusic