[Harp-L] Different Diatonic tuning

 I guess you have to call each tuning, by a name, Âin order to recognize the reason, Âto re-tune. Me, I really don't like the names like, Country Tuning, Paddy Richter, Melody maker, all the different minor and the list goes on and on. Yes, I do use the Major 7th tuning and not much of the others at all, BUT when you need it , you need it. Each have their reason. Some players are notÂable yet to bend and sustain properly , some to O/B, O/D properly but when one needs to have a harmonica to perform properly to the music, re-tuning is an option.
For instance, I was performing at a funeral, where I had to play a number and I wanted it to soundÂsoothing and not have a note sound like a bent note , especially 3 draw , down two , that you had to hold at least for a measure. That's where a Paddy Richter tuning came in handy. Same volume, same feel, blends...It's all about the music , not about anything else. I would say 99.9% of the people have no clue to what tuning your using , so what difference does it make. It's all about the music and how moving you deliver.
Jerl