Re: [Harp-L] Spiral tuning for a beginner: which key?

Rex, thank you for your detailed and helpful reply!

I didnât realize that Melody Maker and Spiral are so closely related. Actually, now that I had a close look at both, I wonder (just out of curiosity) why Melody Maker has the last 4 holes inverted. Is it to keep it more similar to Richter (and make retuning simpler)? Or does this inversion offer some possibilities that Spiral does not provide? (C-E-G chords?)

I know that some would say that I should practice playing instead of studying tunings, but I actually like to do both. I find harp tunings by themselves a very interesting optimization problem (and a vehicle to learn some music theory.) There are so many contradicting aspects! Now that I learned a bit more about tunings, Iâm not so sure anymore whether I should go for spiral. Perhaps in the end I will choose Power Bender.

So for now I will stick with my C-major-Richter and practice my bends, until I know whether Iâd like to optimize my harp more for bends, or more for melody playing / chords.

Disregarding popularity, are there actually any aspects in which Richter is superior to Power Bender? It looses the ungapped sequence of C-E-G chords in blow which I suppose is useful when playing in first position with tongue blocking. Is this actually the original reason for that C-E-G sequence?

Thanks
Christoph