[Harp-L] Spiral tuning for a beginner: which key?

Dear all,

I recently got a Richter-tuned harp in C-major and I can play some tunes on it. I'm motivated to keep on learning. I'm not particularly interested in blues, rather in all-round playing. As a scientifically-minded person I find the irregularities of the standard tuning irritating, so I got interested in alternative tunings. I thought I could as well continue learning on a spiral-tuned harp.

I wonder which key to choose (for the beginning I'd like to get a single one only). As I'm most interested in playing solo without other instruments, the relevant criterion seems to be the tonal range. What would you suggest as a good compromise for all-round playing? I find the upper tones of my C-major Richter rather squeaky, while I think that some lower tones wouldn't hurt. But then, as a beginner, I would like to be able to play simple C-major tunes without bends at more-or-less their official pitch. I think this means that I should get a harp where 2-draw is C4. But won't this one be too low for all-round playing in the lower octave that starts with 2-draw? Perhaps a better choice is to choose G4 as 2-draw. But then, if I understand correctly, playing C5-major will require a bend (perhaps that's easy enough).

It seems to me that Seydelâs default, the âcompromised tuningâ is a good choice for all-round playing with some chords. Can you confirm this?

Finally, the manufacturer offers to half-valve the harp. I understand that this is not something for beginners, but is it a good idea to half-valve the harp right-away for the future? I read that this modifies the sound a bit, but otherwise there are no downsides.

By the way, I notice that even though spiral tuning makes all the notes of a key directly available, the additional notes from blow-bends are different from octave to octave (depending on whether the tonic is on draw or blow). I wonder about the practical significance of this (also for choosing the key).

Many thanks
Christoph