Subject: [Harp-L] video- CHEROKEE by Yvonnick Prene

Randy: I already love everything about YOUR music, and greatly admire your
love for Toots and HIS playing. I'm a huge fan of Will's as well for that
matter.

I too think Yvonnik is a brilliant young musician with chops for days and I
 can assure you I'm not remotely jealous of you, Toots, Will, him or any
chromatic player. Quite the contrary--I have the utmost admiration for those
who  can play so brilliantly....but here's the thing.

I'm just not THAT into bebop, while I DO love Jazz. How does this  make me
(specifically)'not open enough for anything other than what you(I)  know'?

Seriously: that's a pretty big condemnation of those who have wide-ranging
tastes in both music and jazz. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Cherokee.
But  I'll tell you this, I could NOT sit through an entire evening (as an
audience  member) of that level of jazz on chromatic.

While it might be everything you say--at a higher intellectual level than
we mere mortals are intelligent enough to grasp (that IS your strong
implication?) --I have sat through countless evenings of 4 hour  non-stop
performancess by Jason Ricci playing at equally  fast speeds of mostly improv. HIS
music 'spoke to me', is the main  difference. Bebop on a chromatic just
doesn't.

But why should it? We're all different - my first exposure to music  was
Scottish bagpipes - I'm sure entirely different from yours or most others
here, and if everyone in the civilized world loved to hear this as you seem to
think we should, I suspect it wouldn't really please you since there's a
certain  satisfaction in considering one's musical tastes 'special'.

Personally, I love Big Band era Jazz. I can also get into many of Davis,
Cochrane, Parker performances - depending on the time of day (or evening)
--or my mood at a particular moment. But bottom line is that this extremely
fast playing on chromatic wouldn't be my first choice to listen to on my CD
player for entertainment. What I DO enjoy is more mellow and melodious
music.  Does that put me well down the rung of intellectuality in your book?
Perhaps.  Not a problem, but I can't imagine thusly judging someone's intellect
by the  kind of music they enjoy recreationally.

Something to ponder: perhaps some truly do like bebop on piano, bass,
trumpet and/or bari sax but not on chromatic harmonica no matter how  talented
the player because it simply sounds too 'sharp' to their  ears. Possible?

Best,

Elizabeth

"Message: 8