Re: [Harp-L] video- CHEROKEE by Yvonnick Prene

On Sep 26, 2014, at 10:18 PM, Randy Singer wrote:

> Another astounding jazz chromatic solo!

Where's the head Randolph H.?

> Many players do not like bebop for many reasons….too many notes…they don’t understand it……etc.
>
> I believe that it is just jealousy that they are not in command of their instrument and therefore do not like hearing others in total musical command.

I'm with you there...to a point. See musicians come to music from too many variable situations to delineate them. Some have the time, and it's all they do. Others have resources to be able to further their studies or go anywhere or do anything they desire. Others have NO one glomming onto them. Others have family support. Others have connections. Others have the drive..to prove something. Some come by design. Others come to music by accident. Some are even branching out. Some even played another instrument beFORE, concurrent WITH, or AFter harp. I could name a number of other scaps..but you get the idea?

Oh, and I found it so refreshing that you & Slim have such a nice attitude. Not surprising. You are both class acts. But then it also didn't escape my notice that so many guitar players have an affinity for harp to begin with.
Like yourself, Slim, and Oh Toots....... and Thaddeus Hogarth..another whizz kidI have my ears on...AND he's also a guitar player first. lol.

> It is the highest calling of a musician to be able to improvise in any key, at any tempo to any song and jazz is the vehicle for the highest form of
> music imo. I read somewhere that the brains of jazz musicians are almost super human or something like that.

I don't think it's so much that as much as the aforementioned. I used to think that phenomenal musicians had "THA gift". But that would be disrespectful. What I think is that some musicians have put in the time and mileage. Time and mileage that most others have not. So, I give them all the respect in the world for their hard won effort. I hesitate to call it work, as music should be fun or at the very least a pleasant undertaking..and not a drudge.

> Many will argue, go ahead but if you don’t like jazz it might because you are not open enough for anything other than what you know.

I'm back to agreeing with you...to a point. Different people like different cars, homes, clothing, even women (or men). It's all a matter of taste. I (for instance) am not very fond of blues, blue grass, or classical..as a PLAYER. But I can listen to it. Being part Italian & part Polish, it's is curious that I DON't like polkas nor tarantellas. As for jealousy, until one has walked in the other player's life, it's hard to equate nor rationalize. I tend to like gentler jazz. Your CD holds a distinction. It is one of only 3 that I have where ALL 12 tunes are all....good. But then, there's my taste talking.

smokey joe & the 4 M company (Mars metalurgy, machine, & manufacturing. P.O. box 777, Mars, Pa.)