From: JON KIP <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Sep 24, 2014 6:57 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] random contribution to the list  regarding a note.

Admittedly, I'm not a diatonic player, just a woodwind player gone astray and
playing so-so jazz on the chromatic,just for the fun of it (yeah, that's enough
to have you stop reading right here),  but I do, at times, find good reading on
this list and thought I'd add a random bit of information for anyone interested,
interested in feigning interest, or only interested-adjacent, regarding the
playing of a note. Any note. In a phrase, out of a phrase, or just on a dare of
some sort, or to annoy your dog.

I've been listening to some samples (the old usage of that word) of some players
and it seems that, in more than a few cases, the ends of the notes are just
disregarded.... at times, each note sounds like it's both started and cut off
with the tongue...even on slow tunes...

My sixty + years at this silly "let's try to make a living playing music and
never have a Real Job" thing, tell me that both  ends of notes are important.

this is not a rant, but an educated observation, that might be somewhat helpful.
Or, of course, simply annoying and "who does he think he is?" kind of thing. (On
my website, there's a page called that, if anyone has too much time on their
hands. That page was included in the site because, at times, I forget who I am).

envelopes, it turns out , are not only for electronic sounds. How a note is
ended can really be a thing of beauty , or , you know, the other thing.

ok, end of what I hope isn't perceived as a rant, rather than what it really is
.....practice-avoidance on my part
jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that
everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of
sight in a drawer.