Re: [Harp-L] Re: Reed Stress and Temperature

I suppose that I should not have used “elasticity” when referring to the “modulus of elasticity, Young’s modulus, E, stress divided by strain”. Stress is pounds per square inch of cross-section and strain is inches of stretch per inch of length.  For brass, E is about 15.5 million pounds per square inch (PSI)  For steel, it is greater.  It is the same kind of animal but has a different numerical value in metric units.

E is greater at lower temperatures.  i.e. an equal amount of stretch produces a greater restoring force at lower temperatures. If you are thinking of “elasticity” as the ease with which something stretches, then my usage is indeed misleading.

Vern