[Harp-L] Re: Reed Stress and Temperature

While it is true that the properties of brass and plastic change with temperature, the magnitude of these changes are different by orders of magnitude,  I donât question the result of breaking refrigerated plastic in your experiment. I disagree that you can draw conclusions that apply to brass.  Reed behavior that concerns us takes place within the elastic zone below the yield point.  Your spoon breaking takes place above the yield point . (You exceed the yield point when you change the gap of a reed and its rest position changes.)  Brass and plastic are apples and bananas.

The change in elasticity of brass is finite but negligible over the range of temperatures encountered in harmonica playing. If you plot reed stress against tip displacement from the rest condition, you get a not perfectly but very straight line.  If you lower the temperature of the reed you get a parallel line that lies almost on top of the original but displaced a âteeny-tinyâ bit toward higher stress.  This has no perceptible effect on the response of the harp.

I doubt but cannot refute your claim that bending stresses reeds more than normal playing.  If it does however, it is because the amplitude of one of the reeds is greater than normal. I posit that reed stress is a function of vibrational amplitude only. Other conditions affect reed stress only to the extent that they affect amplitude.  It seems reasonable to me that a reed will vibrate at a higher amplitude at its natural frequency than when bent to another frequency.

Vern