Re: [Harp-L] Re: breaking in new harps

I have yet to read why a reed plays a semitone higher when the air is
travelling from the tip to the rivet end (ie a 'bend' either conventional
or 'overbend' - same thing anyhow)
rather than the 'natural' function (ie blow reed acting as a blow, draw as
a draw) where the air travels from the rivet end to the free end. In my
minds eye, I see the
breath starting from the rivet end being a gentler process, involving the
whole length of the reed from the start of the action, whereas
the breath hitting the free end first might not be inclined to involve the
whole reed down to the rivet, so the active portion of the reed is shorter.
Probably nonsense, but I've ead nothing better.
Dunno how, but I see this as connected to the 'breaking in' topic, of
which, by the way, I am, after forty-odd years, completely undecided.
RD