Re: [Harp-L] Breaking in a new harp

Lare Sattler wrote:
<I have read conflicting things about the need to break in a new harp, like gentle playing at first to ease the movement of the reeds so they have less <shock. Another will say they need no break in, just blast the hell out of them. I am normally a pretty hard player and have taken the give 'em hell <approach, but I have wondered if my harps might last longer if I treated them gently for a bit before gigging with them. I thought I'd ask for opinions <on here and see what the experience of some other players might benefit me. Thanx in advance.

So far as I can tell, there's no advantage to breaking in a harp slowly, especially harps of the quality standard that's common nowadays.

I do find that different makes and models wear differently under hard playing.  I find that my Seydels with stainless steel reeds hold up very very well under hard playing; I have yet to blow a reed flat on any of them, and I've been playing a few of them regularly for at least a couple of years.  The 1847s are more responsive than the Session Steels, but they both play hard and well.

I will just note here that when I told Dennis Gruenling that I had blown the draw 5 reed flat on two Marine Band Deluxes in a row, he told me not to play so hard.  Pretty good advice, I think.  I remember Annie Raines telling a festival seminar that in her opinion it was better to let the amp do the work.  Also good advice.

Regards, Richard Hunter