Re: [Harp-L] acoustic harp.

Tom knows.

----- Original Message -----

From: "Tom Ball" <havaball@xxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l, List" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2014 12:24:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] acoustic harp.

FWIW I always figured when one thinks of "acoustic" harp, one
envisions players like Sonny Terry or Hammie Nixon, DeFord Bailey or
Phil Wiggins -- players who do not cup a microphone in their hands
and play through an amplifier; in Willie Dixon's words, players who
"play dry." And when one thinks of "amplified" harp, one envisions a
player cupping a bullet mic and playing through an amp (sometimes
with resultant distortion and/or added effects,) a la Chicago-style
stalwarts Little Walter, Walter Horton, etc.

But "amplified" and "acoustic" are terms that can be both misleading
and self-contradictory.

Most folks would define "acoustic" as "unamplified." Webster defines
"amplify" as: "4. Elect. to increase the amplitude of; to produce
amplification."

But the fact is that almost no "acoustic" players ever really play
acoustically, and certainly no one (after the mid 1920s) ever
recorded that way. When Sonny Terry played in concert with Brownie
McGhee he sat in a chair and played about eight inches away from a
vocal microphone; ditto for other "acoustic" players, myself
included. Yes, we're "acoustic" players, but technically we're all
playing amplified, otherwise we wouldn't be using any microphone at
all.

And when it comes to the process of recording, the only musicians who
ever truly recorded "acoustically" were those who were in the studio
before the 'electrical era,' which came about in the mid 1920's.
Prior to that, recording musicians used crude megaphones rather than
microphones.

Having said that however, I'm sure that most harp players have
settled on the definitions of "acoustic" and "amplified" as they
pertain to a player's approach rather than as a literal definition
involving the use (or lack) of any microphone. Just MHO.

cheerio,
Tom Ball
Purveyor of the physically activated, wind-powered pitch approximater
http://www.tomball.us