Subject: [Harp-L] sticky lips

Jonathan:

I've always used a little dab of either Blistex (in the little round blue
jar) or my newer find (likely recommended by another harp-l'er), the tiny
plastic 'jars' of Vaseline which most drug stores carry mounted on a card.
They  look exactly like the big jars but are extremely tiny--easily carried in
any  pocket. There are two types: one has the addition of cocoa butter
which  I won't use because of its taste, preferring the plain type to  apply to
my lips before a long session of playing. It's also good protection  for
cold weather. I make sure not to leave my lips 'goopy'. You  want them
moistened but no possibility of any gunk getting into the harp.  As well, drink as
much water as you can both before and during--a sip or  two from a bottle is
usually easy enough to manage between songs. If you  watch videos of harp
players--most do just that..keep bottles of water handy and  sip from them.

I've no idea of your age but it's fact that as we get older the texture of
our saliva changes, becoming stickier. Several kinds of medication can
cause this as well--something that isn't particularly noticeable until  playing
an instrument such as a harmonica.

Cleaning your harp after playing removes any built-up  detritus--and I'm
one for keeping a super clean (and polished) harmonica (I play  chromatics).
So it makes it much easier to 'glide' on the mouthpiece the next  time out.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Elizabeth