Re: [Harp-L] RP355 SC/HB

Harp Explorer wrote:

<It's also possible that the microphone being used, as part of making things
<warmer, might filter out that component, so there's nothing further down
<signal to work with.
<
<Lastly, it could be that the amp being used filters out that upper
<frequency area, so no matter what gets passed through the signal chain,
<it's all stripped out at the last step.

<If it's the last case, it's possible that a more transparent amp in
<combination with the guitar effect would allow one to hear that difference,
<and to get more variation in tone than what the amp is imposing on
<everything.
<
<If it's about the microphone doing the frequency filtering, then trying a
<mic which doesn't impose a particular character on the sound might give
<more flexibility when using unit like the RP.

Thanks for the analysis, which is spot-on.  As it happens, the typical amped harmonica--as a result of both mic (often a Bullet) and amp (tube amps were not made to transmit super-zingy high frequencies)--doesn't have much frequency content above 6 kHz,
so that in itself explains why, as per your analysis, there's not much difference in the tone with the (guitar) pickup modeling engaged.

regarding this comment:
<I don't have an RP, but it would be interesting to know whether that
<high-frequency component exists in the harmonica's sound. A lot of gigging
<guitar players have been going straight to the board, and there's no reason
<a harmonica player couldn't do the same with the RP as a versatile fly rig.

An RP with a Direct amp model engaged will pass through exactly the signal that it sees at the input, unless of course additional EQ/FX/etc. are applied in the configuration for the active patch.  Harmonicas do in fact have a LOT of high frequency output; I typically attenuate frequencies above 8 kHz in order to spare the audience's ears, whether the RP setup in use is amped-up or direct or whatever.

And I generally do go direct to the board from the RP, or to a keyboard amp, both of which are designed to take an input and make it louder with minimum added coloration.  Either of these works very well and ensures that I hear exactly the same thing from the RP at every performance.  It's the recommended setup for anyone using an amp modeler of any kind.  That said, some of the people using my patch set get results they like plenty with the RP fronting a more-traditional amped setup. Steve Baker sent me a note along those lines regarding his use of the RP255 to front a Marble Max amp.  The FX aside, the RP is a pretty capable preamp.

Regards, Richard Hunter