Re: [Harp-L] RP355 SC/HB

Robert Hale wrote:
<Richard Hunter,
<
<what is the effect of using SC single coil, or HB humbucker selection on
<harmonica?

Some of the Digitech RPs offer certain types of guitar modeling in addition to their other FX. The intent of the single coil, humbucker, acoustic guitar, etc. models is to offer guitarists the sound of certain well-known configurations for guitar, in order to transform one guitar into another (or to get some of the mojo anyway).  (You may have noticed that variations on the word "guitar" occur five times in that sentence.)

I haven't tried that stuff on my RPs, at least not that I remember.  I suppose I may have tried it and not heard much difference and forgotten all about it, but I dunno.  However...

Before Robert's post--the one I'm replying to above--appeared in the Harp-L Digest, I sent him a message offline advising that I hadn't tried any of those models, and suggesting that he try them and see what they did.  He replied back, again before the post above appeared in the Digest, to advise that he did so and didn't hear much difference.

So the prevailing opinion at the moment is that those models don't do much for harmonica, which is fine with me given that I don't use them in my patch sets.  If any of the RP users out there would like to give it a try and describe the experience, that's great.

In general, I try to use the various FX models in the RPs as I would if they were stompboxes in a chain at my feet.  I can't really see a guitar pickup model in a box at my feet.  I agree that anything in the RP box is fair game for exploitation, for harp players and everyone else; there are just some things that interest me less.  That of course opens the door to others with different interests.  I have no doubt that we've just started working out what the amazing range of FX out there can do to transform the sound and role of the harmonica in the band. The fact that it works so well already is encouraging.

Regards, Richard Hunter