[Harp-L] bent notes and stable players.

On Oct 31, 2014, at 6:55 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> blues bends are unstable or hard to hit on pitch if the player is unstable. Can be done with confidence by many

 True. Also true is that not all those with confidence SHOULD have it. Doing it with confidence doesn't always mean it's right.

And I'm really not thinking about anyone in particular. Haven't watched any videos mentioned in posts here....He exists. We've ALL known him, in one form or another.....are we him? Some of we HAVE to be him, but how do we know?

There's a new website up there about teaching Chromatic harmonica and the guy, in videos, has all the confidence in the world but lacks any skills at the instrument. Obviously, he doesn't see it that way. How can that be?

How can someone be SO confident and SO wrong?

I'm not sure, but there's an interesting article out on the internet by Justin Druger and David Dunning, of Cornell University. Probably find it online with Google or, if you're really interested, email me and I'll send a link.

tiny snippet...(From Dunning's friend, John Cleese, in a serious moment) "According to Dunning, knowing how good you are at something “requires exactly the same skills” as it would to actually be good at that thing."

I'll think more about that tomorrow, I'm letting it set in......but it's a really interesting article. It also had this line:

The philosopher Socrates, discovered to his dismay that he was the smartest person in Athens merely because he, and he alone, recognized how ignorant he was.

jk

http://jonkip.com