Re: [Harp-L] limited instrument?

 Hello Ice Man,

Lets' hear em any of em play sentimental Journey or Up a Lazy river with their standard diatonic , dream on.... Anyone that tells you they can with out torturing reeds to the point of pain to the listener are blowing smoke. But I can do it with two diatonic harmonicas tuned a full step apart in the low octave and work my way up the middle and high. I feel like Toto pulling the curtain back. Come on guys let's get real. The diatonic the way it is ismore than just a little limited.

Bill

On Friday, October 31, 2014 6:15 PM, The Iceman <icemanle@xxxxxxx> wrote:

blues bends are unstable or hard to hit on pitch if the player is unstable. Can be done with confidence by many.

-----Original Message-----
From: william price <promultis33@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Scott Albert Johnson <scojoharp@xxxxxxxxx>; harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Oct 31, 2014 4:16 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] limited instrument?

Thanks SAJ, You are absolutely correct! Because blues bends are also unstable
when trying to maintain pitch or trying to hit the bend without the the arch
into it. To give you an example of the stability problem: try and play Come All
Ye Faithful in the low octave on your diatonic harmonica without sounding like
armature hour.  I can do a spectacular job with that song by using my whole step
method for playing it. I have All the right notes and more usable chords. The
whole step rendition of that song is better than what you could do on a
chromatic as well.  Bill On Friday, October 31, 2014 2:20 PM, Scott Albert Johnson <scojoharp@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote: "Problem: over blowing even for those that claim the ability is not stable,
therefore not a plausible method, for accurately over coming the
instruments stubby scales." This is absolutely, positively untrue.  An overblow is no more "unstable"
than a regular "blues" bend or countless types of notes played on a
saxophone, trumpet etc.  An overblow can be sustained, bent etc.  Here is
an example from my own playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4SEs_HXnU Note in particular a bent-and-then-unbent 5OB at 3:49.  Whether you like
OB/OD playing or not, to say it is not a plausible method just because YOU
can't do it is, to put it delicately, implausible.  There's nothing
unstable about the playing of Howard Levy, or Carlos Del Junco, or Jason
Ricci etc. etc. SAJ *"**Scott Albert Johnson's debut mixes blues, rock, folk and jazz, unified
by first-rate harmonica playing." *(Maureen Palli*, Relix*) *scottalbertjohnson.com <http://www.scottalbertjohnson.com/>   *
*facebook.com/scottalbertjohnsonmusic
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Albert-Johnson/57364390664>* *youtube.com/user/scojo123/videos*
<http://www.youtube.com/user/scojo123/videos>* soundcloud.com/scojo