From: Buck Worley <boogalloo@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Oct 30, 2014 11:35 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Leonard Chess - Ticking off LW and it worked

In the days of Chess Records' dealing with Muddy, Howlin Wolf, Etta, Little
Walter et al, those guys would cut heads regularly. The Mississippi All Star
Trio aka The Head Hunters. They used to piss a lot of people off and people
got
hurt, maimed or killed over blues music to establish hierarchy. Leonard
Chess
used tactics that humiliated and pissed off some of the artists
intentionally to
bring out their emotion and make a better recording.
I have played in some blues bands where those tactics are still used today.
And
many times it works. I can give examples too. I have been on the receiving
end
of guitar players that would rip my head off at the end of a gig.
Fortunately
for me, I know this tactic well and know what it's all about and EXACTLY
how to
deal with it. I have beat the s*^#t out of more than one guitar player. One
just
because his intonation sucked. BUT GUESS WHAT? He promptly learned how to
adjust
his intonation. OOOH I have had my but whipped and my head cut too. Been
shot at
2 times and know a well known drummer that keeps a .38 special under his
seat.
My question: Is anyone on this list been through anything similar in live
performance, road gig or studio. I would love to hear about it.
Buck Worley