Re: [Harp-L] limited instrument?

Scott Albert Johnson wrote:
"Problem: over blowing even for those that claim the ability is not stable,
therefore not a plausible method, for accurately over coming the
instruments stubby scales."

This is absolutely, positively untrue.  An overblow is no more "unstable"
than a regular "blues" bend or countless types of notes played on a
saxophone, trumpet etc.
Thank you, Scott. I play both diatonic and chromatic. The difference: The chromatic has one more octave than the diatonic. I can play 38 notes on my diatonic, all completely accurately. You use OBs while I use prepared (valved) instruments most of the time. Apart from the missing octave, I prefer the diatonic. The reason: Chromatics are big instruments with big reeds and their own sound. My embouchure allows me to personalize the sounds I get out of my diatonic. Much more expressive.

To those who believe it impossible to play a clean chromatic scale on a diatonic, I can only say, "Get an embouchure, dude"!)

-LM