Re[2]: [Harp-L] Sometimes ....

Michelle,

That was an awesome video you shared. Thanks for the link!

It seems to me that every instrument that is not foundational in nature has its ups and downs in the world of western music.

The harmonica has enjoyed several surges in popularity over the 40+ years that I've been involved in live performance. I've also witnessed the same phenomenon with keyboards and brass instruments as well. (I play keys and brass instruments on occasion and was a composition major with a minor in brass performance.)

Whenever there's not much call for harp in our local area I play primarily bass and rhythm guitar with local bands. My one-man harmonica show remains popular at festivals and events, even though I much prefer to play with live humans no matter how good the backing tracks are... The upside of the one-man show is that other musicians have the opportunity to see how versatile an instrument the diatonic harmonica is. The solo gigs have gotten me a lot of paid studio time since 2001.

The more styles and instruments a musician can play well, the more often we work. My all-time favorite instrument, precisely because of its "limitations", is the diatonic harmonica. I play overblows and overdraws live but if I can get the same notes from a "country tuned" harmonica I use it. OB's and OD's are slightly out of tune (at least when I play them) so I prefer the alternative tuning for most melodic work.

The only limits on any instrument are self-imposed...

Best Regards,
Dennis M. Cooper
http://dennis-cooper.com