Re: [Harp-L] A $7-800 amp?

rickmartin oldsberg wrote:
***
First of  all -- many thanks for the input on my RP--PA conundrum. ItÂs a
process that  maybe -- or maybe not -- will be sorted out in due time and IÂm
grateful for  the pointers given.

Meanwhile, IÂm being offered a brand new  amplifier by a generous man, as a
go to-item when that is handy, and  complementeing the RP setup. ItÂs meant
as payment for stuff IÂve recorded for  him, and IÂm not sure if I can
accept it, but if I do itÂs going to be a case  of us buying a amplifier in a
store here in Gothenburg and not him giving me  money -- that would not be
acceptable.
We have started looking and I  tried a Fender Blues Jr the other day, and
it was made clear to me that this  could be something. My friend is very much
into tubes and if heÂs going to  sponsor something IÂm pretty sure heÂll
find it more meaningful with a tube  amp. (The stuff we record together is
mostly blues.)

My  question is, in this price range, some $7-800, would that be a good
thing to  buy?
***

First, let me note that you may want to try a mid-sized keyboard amp for your RP first.  A Peavey KB2 or Behringer amp of similar power will run you about $250, and it's likely to do exactly the job you just described when coupled with the RP.  It's still not clear to me why you're having so much trouble with feedback; none of my other customers has ever had such a problem persisting for so long.  I'm certain that it's got something to do with the way you're setting up the connection from the RP to the PA--at some point you're overloading the signal path, and that point is somewhere between the RP and the PA.  (Or you could just be standing right in front of the PA speaker, I guess.)  Anyway, a keyboard amp will give you more control over the gain staging than you have with a PA, and it will also give you a line-out so you can take the signal to the PA when you need to.

Second, for less than $350, you should be able to find a Fender Super Champ XD.  This amp is no longer in production, but it's largely available on the used market.  It's got 15 watts of power and combines a tube amp section with a modeled preamp that offers 15 different preamp setups.  It's a very nice amp, especially for the money--plenty of power and lots of flexibility in the tone.  If you want to buy new, the successor to the Super Champ XD is the Super Champ X2, which offers similar features--including an all-tube 15 watt signal path--PLUS amp modeling, for less than $400.

Regards, Richard Hunter