[Harp-L] Philip Achille in Dallas 2003

   Wasn't there but I remember being angered by one of the attendees
beefing in print about Philip being exposed to a bunch of Texas blues
players.  Apparently Vern Morgus thought young Mr. Achille would become
contaminated.  He argued for a blues exorcism.  I quote:

   "A young chromatic player and his mother came all the way from England
for all that blues?  A friend says, perhaps SPAH should sponsor two events,
one for blues, and one for chromatic/enable(?)/orchestra event.  There are
many blues events which the blues players, can/would attend if the SPAH
event was as it was traditionally (during previous conventions).  What does
the "P" in preservation have to do with blues harp?  That surely does make
sense to me, and many others.
   Yes, it is amazing what so many blues players do with that tiny (22
extra notes to coax out) 10 hole diatonic, but if you were there you'd have
noticed how many people left the evening performances when the ear
splitting blues began with the harmonica playing a few bars, then the long
intervals of guitar, bass guitar, drums, etc.  These people thought they
were going to attend a Harmonica event.  It's no wonder that many left."
(American Harmonica Newsmagazine, December 2003)

   Oddly enough, I notice Philip is playing a blues on the Kickstarter
site.  He must have caught the disease.  Shame on those Texas folks for
corrupting this poor kid!

Mick Zaklan