Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 21:28:12 +0000
From: winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx
To: boogalloo@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Overhauling Echo Harps (need help)

The wood is not pearwood; it may be maple. I'd try to use as little moisture as possible. Once you pry the reedplates off, try first just brushing off any debris. Use moisture only as needed. Perhaps try wiping of stubborn residues with  a slightly damp dishcloth. Immersion should be an absolute last resort.

Wood glue is your friend for whatever wood-to-wood gluing needs to be done. Glue on nails? If the nail holes are still tight,  I'm not sure you need it - and you may want to get the harp apart later for tuning or other service needs.

Try rubbing rust off the covers  with steel wool or fine-grit sandpaper. You can seal rusty spots with clear nail polish or perhaps wax.
Winslow
 Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.comInstructor, Jazzschool Community Music School