[Harp-L] end to end reeds

just to make sure I understand the design idea, the concept is a single
reed slot, twice as long as required for a single reed, with a reed
fastened to the reed plate at each end of the slot, with the free ends of
the reeds facing each other, with sufficient clearance that they wouldn't
strike each other.

this would probably require a comb a bit thicker than a standard comb, to
eliminate the possibility of the free ends of the reeds striking the comb.

as I see it, the results would be:

1. valving would be a problem, leading to increased air flow demands,
particularly on the lower ends reeds, such as those used in the bottom
octave of hohner 64s.

2. increased airflow requirements due to the relatively large open area of
the reed slot when the reeds are at the extent of their flex.

3.  inability to bend notes.  this is a guess on my part, but suspect the
air flow dynamics that allows bending of notes in conventional harmonicas
would not apply to this design.

there are only two reasons I can think of for such a design:

1.  tremolo or "musette" harmonicas, where two reeds are tuned close to
each other to produce a beating sound.

2.  an octave harmonica, where the two reeds are tuned a octave apart.
because playing octaves, particularly on chromatics, isn't that difficult a
skill to acquire, I'm not sure the effort to make this new design would be
worth the trouble.

it is nice to hear someone thinking "outside the box".

iowaplayer