[Harp-L] Re: Musical instruments for 100 kids?

At Michael's craft stores, in their dollar bins you can buy cheap translucent harmonicas for just $3.00. Other stores sell the same items for up to $4.99. Translucent plastic comb and cover plates, aluminum reed plate, brass reeds. Imported by Toysmith, most likely made in the same Chinese factory as the Hohner branded ones. It leaks air but plays surprisingly well, though it's feels weird playing something this lightweight.

http://stoysnetcdn.com/tysm/tysm8071/tysm8071_1.jpg

As a giveaway toy it's fine, but if I was going to give a kid something to encourage them to actually play, I'd pay the couple of extra dollars and get then a Hohner Blues Band or some other cheap real harmonica. Guitar Center also has Jambone branded harps with plastic combs, recessed metal coverplates that you can buy 3 for $10. I've never played one, but the online reviews are decent and for 33 cents more than what you'd pay for a toy, it's probably worth it.