RE: [Harp-L] Copyright Law

Hello,

I would just like to add my 2 cents, as this is a subject which is really interesting to me.

Concerning the method itself, I don't really see the interest as the student will have to learn a different way, once he gets his first overblows.
Not very efficient...
Plus I feel it is useless because if you can explain the optimal position to get the overblows, you need approx. 5 to 10 minutes to teach overblows to a student who can already bend notes.

Concerning the 1Â, the position of the tongue is not exactly the same as the other overnotes. This is, to my opinion, the only thing that should be taught to the student.
I may be wrong, but I don't think there is any other way of getting a clear 1Â (without any sound from the throat) than putting the tongue in a slightly different position, and I don't think moving the harmonica will help in any way (not sure I understood that point though).

Concerning the fact that the tongue should be in the same position for all bent notes (I mean bends & overnotes as, if you think about it, all these notes are bent notes, using the exact same physical process, thanks to the exact same positions of the tongue), I was taught this more than 20 years ago by Sebastien Charlier. At this time, the few people who knew about overnotes were very skeptical about this method, because this was not the way they were operating, even the most famous ones. I'm glad Sebastien did not copyright anything, otherwise I'd be ashamed to teach it to my students today, and l guess less people would know about it, at least in Europe.

Concerning copyrighting a teaching method, well, everyone has an idea of the ideal society. In my ideal society, knowledge should be spread as much as possible all over the world. A teacher should teach to as many students as possible, who should teach to as many other people as possible etc. I've never understood that one would like knowledge to be kept only by few privileged, which is always the case when speaking about protecting something by copyright.

In conclusion, I don't see the interest of the method, and I don't understand the purpose of the copyright.
I may stick to my old & free method, which I also teach freely on a blog I have (sorry, in French only), like others on their blog or youtube channel, and I hope many more will be participating in spreading it as much as possible.

I hope this email doesn't sound too arrogant, I just wanted to express my disagreement with you.

Best regards,

Jerome Peyrelevade
www.youtube.com/JersiMuse