[Harp-L] Re: Vibratory Stress Relief

Hi Rick,
Since I get the digest I don’t know if any replies came in yet after your posting.

Have you tried checking the other reeds before placing the plates in the ultrasonic?

I’m guessing the change in pitch might not be the reed relaxing but the scraped reed material flaking off the reed that is contributing a bit to the
raise in pitch.  Yes, it could be helping with speeding up the relaxation but I’m just saying there might be a bit more to it to contribute to the change in pitch.

I’ve used files, very sharp dental burs and Shofu Brownies in rotary tools and found the Brownies required the least amount of adjusting since the reed was being
polished, followed by the dental burs then files and scrapers requiring the most adjustments after replacing a reed.

I think in general if you can place a set of plates in an ultrasonic before checking the tuning you can get a more accurate reading due to the lack of saliva and oxide buildup
hanging around on the reeds and to some degree the windsavers on models having them.

Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com