[Harp-L] Re: The Ashby Method for Overbending

As usual Michelle makes some good points, I agree with her.  I do  however
think the science of 'Neil's' method has yet to be explored, and  that this
approach shouldn't be dismissed just because a  person may be turned off by
the Neil Ashby Method For Posting On  Harp-l.

To be clear, Michelle didn't suggest we dismiss Neil's claims, she only
called for some supporting evidence.  I think that's fair and  appropriate.

One possibility is that the airflow direction by itself has no  effect, but
the positioning of the lips, mouth, tongue and/or throat  when SOME people
use this technique can create an  upbend.  If this holds true, maybe I
should copyright the explanation  and demand a percentage of Neil's patent
revenue.

Regardless of the science, and my facetiousness aside, if this  technique
helps some players learn how to bend a note upward in  pitch then it would
seem to have merit.

Seems a stretch to claim anyone can learn to bend notes upward in 5
minutes, especially so as some skilled players have already weighed in saying it
didn't work for them... and, well, we're still waiting to hear who  those
prominent instructors are who have endorsed this 'method'.

Christopher Richards
Harmonica Planet
_www.harmonicaplanet.com_ (http://www.harmonicaplanet.com)

In a message dated 11/3/2014 5:13:53 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,