Re: [Harp-L] bent notes and stable players.

I think I can allay everyone's consternation regarding this very interesting and it would appear hot topic.

People who play other instruments are accustomed to getting an actual set pitch when applying technique to a particular key.
So..when they hear a slightly off pitch from another instrument, they tend to register a bit of alarm. Their auditory systems send
them a message: 'Hey somethings amiss here'. This is because of much practice with a 'true tone' instrument.

What they may not realize is that with a harmonica, in certain circumstances, slightly off pitched notes ARE acceptable. They
are part of the charm. In other words, hearing a vocalized sound relatively similar to a moaning or sighing or crying sound may
fit harmonica in a way that is not necessarily unpleasant.

If I were to go to the club and pick up my trumpet and sound a Bb while the piano gives me a Bb tone, I may have to turn my screw
on the tuning slide a bit to reach HIS tone. (since he can't change his). I will do that even if the piano is out of tune. With a sax, I
could close the head joint a bit if flat, or open if sharp. Clarinet presents a different problem. They can't be made any sharper than
around A440. Clarinets playing in a band sharper than 440 will sound flat. The head joint is a set length. So you would need an
 adjustable one. BUT now you have the dichotomy that in the upper range  you will now sound flat.

Back to harmonica. I can honestly say that certain people seem to be able to pull off hitting the notes that aren't there naturally and
have to be manufactured. But they can't do it all the time. Sometimes it depends on the material that they pick to play. I know of one
player who is regarded in harmonica circles as tantamount to a God, and even he can't do it all the time. But he's accomplished
enough to make it work.

As for which unit to play. To me that depends on the tune itself. Some tunes are naturally diatonic friendly. Most country western
tunes are. Most classical tunes aren't. Tunes that change keys aren't. So for some tunes it is best to choose the right tool for the
wood you are cutting. A chromatic is basically a piano-centric unit and is oh so much less risky...IF the tune is a real bear to play.
On the other hand, a diatonic..IN the right mouth can also be oh so sweet.

smo-joe