Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica and Sheet-Music [Updated]

So the bottom line is that the C clef really, actually and basically has no bearing on the harmonica. That's what I meant with the expression: "I have no idea what a C clef is or how it might relate to the harmonica." It was a throwaway line.

The whole issue involved the Mel Bay practice of using the treble clef with middle C starting on hole No 4. The Mel Bay books ALSO include arrow and number tab below the music notation so harmonica players can play the songs by note or number. Because the MelBay

For those who had never seen this concept, my regrets. But I have taught my Harmonica 101 class for the past 20 years with a Phil Duncan book that does exactly that. Duncan has many other basic and entry level diatonic books -- including Stephen Foster Songs -- that use the system. You an Teach Yourself Harmonica by George Heaps-Nelson and Barbara McClintock Koehler also uses it.

Also, Bill Bay or William Bay (Mel Bay's son) uses that system in Fun with the Harmonica and easiest Harmonica Book uses.

David Barrett, a Mel Bay author who focuses mostly on blues, uses that system in Youth Harmonica Method. However, just about every other book Barrett has written uses blow 1 as C.

To me it makes perfect sense. It is a lot easier for people just starting to read music on the richter harmonica to ignored the first octave with its missing F and A notes and get right to the full diatonic octave starting on hole 4.

Solo tuned chromatic harmonicas have full octaves, so it makes perfect sense to start with blow 1 as middle C. And I think most of them do. I must have about 10 chromatic books in my archive but I haven't checked them lately.

Thanks to Vern for pointing out that the C clef is not totally worthless for orchestra players -- just to harmonica players.

The Mel Bay idea is to place holes 4-7 (the C scale on the C richter) squarely on the five lines of the treble staff and the leger line below it: C. (And as everyone knows, this tab can be played by any richter major key harmonica by simply following the numbers and ignoring the notes.)

Hope this clears this up.

Phil